Sunday, November 17, 2013

Deceptively Delicious HEALTHY Kids Pizza



Do you lie to your children?? I know that is a funny question to ask, but c'mon, do you?  In this case, you should...let me explain myself...
 
My 17 month old son, Bryson has been going through this "phase that every child goes through", according to his pediatrician, where he doesn't want to eat ANYTHING.  And when I say anything, I really mean anything but bananas, strawberries, cheese, animal crackers, and hummus...yes, HUMMUS.  Bananas, strawberries, cheese and hummus are nice and healthy for you, but he isn't getting all the nutrients, vitamins and minerals he needs to be healthy.  The Doc said he would grow out of this phase and that adding supplements to his diet isn't necessary.  That's great to hear from the Dr. but all you mothers out there can understand that it still didn't make me feel any better about his eating habits...he even went to bed 2 nights in a row COMPLETELY REFUSING to eat dinner!!! What?!?!?!? Oh...and did I mention, he won't drink milk??  I've tried regular, soy, CHOCOLATE milk...nothing.  I can't trick this kid, he knows what he likes and dislikes...he's too dang smart! Lol!
 
Well, I was given a book for my birthday last week that will change this "phase" Bryson is going through...its called "Deceptively Delicious".  This book makes it perfectly okay to lie through your teeth!! {tee hee hee} The author has written a complete cookbook of healthy and "deceptive" {and YUMMY} recipes for those picky eaters in your family, by adding fresh, pureed vegetables.  It is an amazing book and couldn't have come at a better time!  I know my son loves pizza, and I found a fabulous and easy recipe for homemade Pita Pizzas, with spinach puree.  I took several pictures to show you just how quick and easy this was to make. 

First, you want to puree your fresh spinach leaves, and then spread it on either a pita pocket of those "flat sandwich rounds". 

 
Then, add a little jarred tomato sauce on top...


After the sauce is added, put a piece of low-fat mozzarella cheese on top...


Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, I used my toaster oven.

 
 
Let sit for 5 or so minutes, then serve...
 
 


Bryson LOVED it...and he had NO IDEA it had vegetables in it! WOOHOO!!  I "lied" to him, and it paid off...he has eaten this for dinner the past two nights and enjoys every bit of it:)  Sweet! If you don't already have this book and you are experiencing the same eating habits with your little one, I HIGHLY recommend purchasing it....any other recipes I need to know about?  Please share:)
 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment