Monday, September 23, 2013

Homemade Finger Paints!

Yaaaaay, for baby fun!!
 

 
 
I was completely STOKED when I finally made these finger paints...
not only because it was FREE {well, semi-free} I used what I already had in my kitchen, so to me, that was free since I didn't have to go out and buy something specific for this fun, baby-safe activity! To make this cool, creamy, gel-like paint, here are the ingredients...
 
* 2 Cups of Cold Water
* 3 Tablespoons of Sugar
* 1/2 Cup of Corn Starch
* Food Coloring
 
I mixed all of the ingredients, EXCEPT the food coloring, in a pot on medium heat.  You have to keep mixing, and mixing...and mixing, for about 5 or 6 minutes.  Then you will notice the consistency getting very creamy.  At this point, take it off stove and separate into small containers, empty baby food jars, or a muffin tin {depending on however many colors you want to make}.  I used Tupperware.  Add the coloring to make the desired color to each container.  **MAKE SURE TO ALLOW ENOUGH TIME FOR THE PAINT TO COMPLETELY COOL DOWN BEFORE PLAYTIME!!!** Most of you are probably saying "DUHHHHH", but I gotta cover my bases here...you never know:)  I would suggest using within a day or so of making, if not, it turns a weird consistency and gains a semi-funky smell....ew! Ready for some pictures?? Yay!!
 
 
 



 
I had prepared a canvas with his name taped on it, so when he "went to town", we could pull the tape off and have his very first piece of art with his name on it.  Yeeeeaaaa, it didn't go down like that at all! His big sis and I had more fun with it!! He wanted nothing to do with mashing his hands into the brightly colored mush...his sissy and I "painted" his canvas for him.  And it turned out gross looking, but it was a blast😜 So, I figured out that this is more for sensory play, and I honestly think Bryson Kyle would have liked this more if I had put him in his pool, with no water, so he could just go to town...he seems to get more courageous in there.  Another thing I figured out is just cause there is food coloring in there, it doesn't make it "stick" like craft paint! {laughing at myself} It just rinsed right off, so no painting but I still have a completely usable, white canvas...bonus! 
 
Hope y'all enjoy making your little artist's finger paint!  The good thing about it is it doesn't stain AND its edible {but not so flavorful} for curious minds😉  I would love to hear your stories and experiences if you choose to try this out, and I would love some more great ideas...please pass them my way!  Can't wait to hear some stories!
 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment